Winter-Spring 2022 Cohort
100 Days to Launch Your Practice
Lesson 19: Blogging and Social Media
Due: Monday, April 4 – with an assignment!
Need Help? Ask in the Forum.
Two more vitally important web marketing tactics for advocates: blogging, and social media, are covered in this lesson. Plus we’ll look at a few simple (and not-so-simple) additional web tactics to use, too.
Note: you have an assignment below! Hope you enjoy putting it together.
- Please watch the video (below – 26 minutes) which focuses on blogging, and then general social media. We also cover a few additional tactics you may want to try (two that are very simple!).
- Take note of additional questions and post them in the Discussion Forum.
Questions? Ask them in the Discussion Forum.
(Optional but Helpful – Use these readings and resources to clarify or expand on the tasks above.)
- Here is the download of the “Getting Started with Blogging” slides – topic ideas, how-tos, and more
- “Getting Started” blog posts. You can use these to pattern your own first blog post after: APHA Blog Launch*, AdvoConnection Blog Launch* You’ll see they are just introductions.
- APHA social media links can be found at the top of every page on the APHA website: https://APHAdvocates.org/
- AMH Chapter Ten: Tactic: Social Media and Networking page 105
- Expert Call-in (resources, but no podcast): Blogging 101
- Article: How to Blog
- Need images for your blog? Here’s a list of free photo sites.
- Expert Call-in (podcast plus resources): Social Media Tips and Tricks
*Some history for you: the APHA blog was originally called the AdvoConnection blog when it was launched in 2010. We didn’t become APHA until late 2012! So that APHA blog was also relaunched at that time. Then the AdvoConnection blog was relaunched in 2017 – written specifically for patients, not advocates. In fact, you can use it for links in your future newsletter because it’s written specifically for your audiences.
- As per the video: determine where you will blog (on your own website? on a separate one?)
- Write your intro post (see samples linked above)
- Come up with at least three ideas for posts and what they would include. Remember – short subjects are best, so if you think of a big topic, consider how you might break it into smaller ones. Post your ideas to the discussion forum.
Link to the Connect! Discussion Forum to discuss this lesson with your fellow students.
(Ignore “Lesson 21” – For our WS 2022 purposes, this is Lesson 19)
- If you have a question of interest to you only, then contact us.
- If your question or answer will be of interest to one or more others, please post in the Discussion Forum
- Return to the Winter Spring 2022 Cohort Homepage
*SGOP is The Start and Grow Your Own Practice Handbook – the green book – just a quick and easy acronym!